Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Breakfast Stack


Okay, I decided to go off track here from my traditional spinach, mushroom and egg white omelet. I ventured further and made what I call a "stack".

What you will need:

5 eggs (egg whites only)
1 slice of turkey bacon
1 slice of swiss cheese
1 Deli (thin) slice of honey ham
1 tablespoon of grated Parmesan cheese
A sprinkle of paprika
A dash of salt and pepper

Take 3 egg whites for your base. Did you know that egg whites taste best when you let them sit at room temperature for a bit? Yea, well if you did great, but this is something I just recently learned so leave the eggs out for about 20 minutes. Vigorously, mix the egg whites and pour into a microwave safe dish that has the diameter of approximately 3 inches. For me, I used a measuring cup. Cook in microwave for 45 seconds. Put this layer on a plate.

Next, sprinkle layer with a half tablespoon of grated Parmesan. Also, dash some salt and pepper to your liking. At the same time I am usually frying the turkey bacon on the stove. If you like your can fry your slice of ham too, but I cooked mine in the microwave for 45 seconds.

Add the bacon to the stack by breaking in half. Add the slice of ham. Immediately add the slice of Swiss so that the Swiss can melt over the stack.

I then take two more egg whites, mix, and heat for 30 seconds and add to the top of the stack.

The final steps are to top with the remaining Parmesan cheese, a sprinkle of paprika and some salt and pepper.

I served with 4 medium strawberries.

The entire meal is low carb and high in protein. The stack and strawberries contain approximately 328 calories!!! YEA healthy and low in calories!!!!

Now, the next question you may ask is, "okay Liz, this looks good but how do I eat it?" Well, I got myself a knife and fork and cut it all up and ate it! There is no right or wrong way to eat a stack.

No comments: